Complete the Unit 6 Assignment: Who Killed Peggy Hettrick?
The ability to think critically is a key skill for success in the criminal justice field. It means not taking what you heard or read at face value, but using your critical thinking faculties to weigh up the evidence, and consider the implications and conclusions of the situation.
Resource: Chapter 9 of your text.
Read the following library article:
Susan, S. (n.d). For December 24, 2011, CBS. 48 Hours (CBS News).
Review the details of the Peggy Hettrick Case.
For this week’s Assignment, you will be working with a learning team to create a PowerPoint presentation describing in detail the roles of the judge, the prosecutor, and the defense counsel in the case of Peggy Hettrick.
The Assignment requires your team to choose what role they would be interested in preparing a presentation on, the judge, the prosecutor or the defense counsel.
Create a 10–12 slide PowerPoint presentation incorporating the following elements:
- The judge is an elected or appointed public official who presides over a court of law and who is authorized to hear, sometimes to decide cases, and to conduct trials.
- Identify the judge’s actions in the courtroom and how they apply to the case (minimum 3 slides).
- The prosecutor is the decision-making power of prosecutors is based upon the wide range of choices available to them, in the handling of criminal defendants, the scheduling of cases for trial, and the acceptance of negotiated pleas.
- Identify the prosecutor’s actions in the courtroom and how they apply to the case (minimum 3 slides).
- The defense counsel is a licensed trial lawyer hired or appointed to conduct the legal defense of a person accused of a crime and to represent him or her before a court of law.
- Identify the defense counsels actions in the courtroom and how they apply to the case (minimum 3 slides).
Use examples to support your rationale.
Incorporate speaker notes into each slide for a complete description of the items highlighted in your slides.
Include a title slide and a reference slide.
Cite a minimum of three references consistent with APA guidelines.
Team Assignment Directions
Complete the Team Peer Evaluation form, located in the Unit 6 Assignment section, to assess all team members work throughout the duration of the week.
85% of the total points available for the Team Assignment are associated with the team submission and 15% of the total points are associated with quality of individual contribution.
You will assess your team members and they will assess you using the feedback in the Team Peer Evaluation. The professor will not share your peer evaluation feedback with others, though you may choose to ask teammates to share their perceptions with you, so you can improve upon your team contribution.
Directions for Submitting Your Assignment
Save your PowerPoint Assignment as Groupname-CJ101_Assignment-Unit6.pptx. Have a designated group member submit the assignment to the Unit 6: Assignment Dropbox by the end of Unit 6.
Your grade will be a result of your group work and your peer evaluation.
Submit your Peer Evaluation to the Unit 6 Peer Evaluation Dropbox by the end of Unit 6.